Thursday, September 27, 2007

On Epiphanies and Boomers


I am a boomer, although I admit that I've never felt like a boomer. Despite the fact that during the summer of love the only "be-in" I was a part of was "be in the house when your mother calls you for supper", a birth-date in 1958 definitely qualifies me for membership in that infamous demographic known as the baby boom. I've never felt like a boomer, that is, before last Thursday. That's when I had the epiphany.

I was sitting at a computer when I rapidly got my knickers in a twist jumping in to try yet another new technology. And then it hit me. I am not an experiential learner. Forget Ms. Frizzle's Magic School Bus mantra of "take chances, get messy, make mistakes!" - I just don't learn well that way. I like lectures. I like written material (on paper!). I like to take notes that can be reviewed and reflected upon. I read manuals and mark them up with marginalia. When shown how to use a new piece of technology, I take notes, file them carefully, and refer to them often.

So what does this epiphany have to do with boomers? I have 2 kids in university, and they deal with technology very differently from me. Library 2.0 is right in line with their needs as digital natives, but what about the boomers, the digital immigrants? There are a lot of people like me, and if history is an indicator of the future, the boomers aren't going to fade away quietly. As the most educated generation in history jogs toward retirement, the library could be perfectly positioned to fill many of the needs of these future senior citizens. Already built for accessibility, the library can keep minds active to ward off Altzheimer's, run special interest programs, and act as a social forum, just to name a few possibities.

Although I'm not heading to my rocking chair any time soon (after all, I'm here on campus in my skinny jeans and ballet flats!), I think I may pursue this as a theme as I continue this blog.

2 comments:

Rachel E. Beattie said...

I loved your post! I really liked how you put to words something that has been sort of bothering me the whole time I've been thinking about this Library 2.0 thing.

We are making sooo many assumptions about who are users are. Our users aren't necessarily digital natives who are uber technical. I just keep thinking of my mom, she's probably the smartest person I've met but she has an inate distrust of computers, she knows how to check her email but she would rather read a book than an online source any day of the week.

In our rush to prepare for the coming technology revolution, we can't forget that not everyone likes or completely understands computers.

Frances said...

Hi Judith,
I am actually procrastinating in doing the critical review, so I decided to amble through the class blogs. I wish I had found your blog before, it would have made feel alot better about things. I too am in that 'boomer bracket' although at the tail end, born in 1959. It sometimes feels as if I am the only one not 'getting it' when it comes to all this technology. I actually do not even visit my own blog as being on line is not second nature to me like it seems to be for the 'younger' generation.

Anyway, just thought I would offer my 2 cents. If you ever want to kvetch about the tech learning curve we are on, my blog is 1311ceas.........ceas is irish for torment! You can also tap me on the shoulder in class.....although once we get started we might not stop.

Good luck with the review
Frances

ps. If it makes you feel better my 6 year old niece is more computer savvy than me!